Sunday, May 17, 2009

Guiness Gingerbread

This is my first week with Sweet Melissa Sundays and I'm very excited to be baking with the group. This week's recipe was chosen by Katie of Katie's Cakes. I have to admit that I was somewhat skeptical about a dessert that called for Guiness and white pepper, but this experience is all about trying things I may not normally choose myself. The recipe pleasantly surprised me. The flavor is somewhat different than any gingerbread I have made in the past, but I guess that is part of what makes it so good.





The recipe was easy enough once I finally got started. I don't normally buy the beer in the house so imagine my surprise when I found out the store my husband sent me to only sells beer by the case. I had my seven month old in tow and she was getting hungry, so I didn't really have time to shop around. We don't drink Guiness, but luckily my dad does. Otherwise I would be making a lot of gingerbread! As it is I doubled the recipe so I could use up the rest of the bottle.




The gingerbread is definitely best served warm as the recipe suggests. However, instead of serving it with plain whipped cream, I tried a recipe my mom had for an orange whipped cream. She had made it to serve with her own gingerbread recipe a couple months ago and it was really delicious. Again, its not something I would have thought to pair together, but the flavors work really well with each other.




Thanks Katie for encouranging me to try something I probably would have passed up! You can find the recipe on her website. You can get the recipe for the orange whipped cream here.

Orange Whipped Cream

1 Egg
1/2 Cup Sugar
1 t Orange Peel
1 t Lemon Peel
2 T Lemon Juice
1 Cup Heavy Cream

In a small saucepan combine the egg, sugar, orange peel, lemon peel, and lemon juice. Whisk until combined. Place the saucepan over medium low heat and stir constantly until the mixture has thickened (about 5-10 minutes). I cooked mine until it just started to bubble. Set the mixture aside and let it cool.

Once the citrus mixture has cooled, whip the heavy cream. Once the cream is whipped to form soft peaks, fold in the citrus mixture.

No comments:

Questions or Comments?

I would love to hear from you! E-mail me at sugarspicekitchen@yahoo.com.