Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Strawberry Ruby Red Preserves


My apologies to Margo who selected this wonderful recipe as I'm sooooo very late posting... I almost skipped this recipe because we had gone to the beach the weekend we were supposed to make it, but the flavor combination sounded so intriguing I had to give it a go. I've made a lot of jelly/jam/preserves in the past. My dad always made them during the summer and my sister and I loved to help. The best part was eating the foam he skimmed off before canning the jam (if you've made jam or jelly with Sure-Jell or liquid pectin before, you know what I'm talking about). I do normally use the Sure-Jell when making jam, so I was especially interested to see how this recipe would turn out since it uses apples as a source of pectin.

Aside from having all the ingredients on hand at one time, this recipe was really easy to make. I bought strawberries and grapefruit before reading the recipe all the way through and when I went to make it the first time, I realized I had no apples. By the time I was able to get the apples, I had to break down and let my daughter eat the strawberries I bought. You just can't say no to a kid when they ask for fruit as a snack! One more trip to the store did the trick...

I absolutely loved the flavor of the preserves- strawberry preserves can be a little too sweet sometimes, but the grapefruit counteracted the sweetness quite nicely. I really wanted to make lemon scones so I could try the preserves on something, but I have been so busy lately. That is the one nice thing about preserves- they keep for a long time! I did give a small jar to my mom and dad and my mom said she really enjoyed them. I may have to add this to my list of preserves to make every year!

You can check out the recipe on Margo's blog. Be sure to check out the latest pictures of her adorable dog as well!

3 comments:

margot said...

Hi Karin, I'm happy you had a chance to make the preserves and that you and your family are enjoying them. I don't have kids, but I agree that if they want to snack on fruit, definitely encourage it! Thanks for the kind words about the Eloise pictures, she'll appreciate the compliment.

Katiecakes said...

I'm glad you got to make this recipe, it's so super yummy :)

Katie xox

HanaĆ¢ said...

I'm glad you got to make the SMS preserves. They were delicious (I made strawberry-rhubarb preserves). I love the color and somewhat chunky texture of yours. Great job!!

Questions or Comments?

I would love to hear from you! E-mail me at sugarspicekitchen@yahoo.com.