Monday, June 1, 2009

After the Wedding...

Well, after months of planning, my brother-in-law finally got married this weekend and everything was really beautiful! As his fiance's family is from Brazil, her parents came in early in the week, so there was an entire week of festivities to attend. A lot of fun, but it takes a lot out of you. We kind of wound things down on Saturday morning with a brunch at our house. I am not quite sure what I was thinking having brunch at our house after being up so late the night before, but I was able to make most everything ahead of time so the last minute prep was not too bad.


I have pretty much been baking a little every day for the past two weeks in preparation and wound up making four different kinds of scones (blueberry, lemon, orange cranberry pistachio, and cinnamon apple), a blueberry crumb cake, caramel apple turnovers with sweet ricotta filling, and the cherry almond granola used in granola breakfast cookies (the latter two being recipes I missed from SMS earlier on). I was a little nervous about the brunch as my brother-in-law and his one groomsmen are the sous chef and head chef at a resort in Breckenridge, CO. But everything turned out really great and I got rave reviews of everything (I later found out his fiance's parents own a bakery back in Brazil as well- yikes!).


It was a lot of fun baking for the brunch and I am glad I had an opportunity to catch up on some of the recipes I missed from Sweet Melissa Sunday's. Now if only I could catch up on some sleep! I will definitely be making the turnovers again as everyone really seemed to enjoy them. I made the apple as the recipe called for, but made a few with cherries as well. I still have about two gallon bags of sour cherries I picked last summer, so I am looking for interesting ways to use them. I think I may make some cherry jam if they are not gone before the new crop comes in...


Hopefully, I will get to make the bee stings I missed this week sometime in the near future. I was flipping through the Sweet Melissa Baking Book and my three year old saw the picture and was really excited about them. She pointed and said "I think I will really like those." They look like a good Sunday breakfast...

No comments:

Questions or Comments?

I would love to hear from you! E-mail me at sugarspicekitchen@yahoo.com.