Friday, June 19, 2009

Banana Bread


I had a couple of ripe bananas that had to be used in the next day or two, and I think my eight month old was getting a little tired of eating them, so I decided to make banana bread last night. This recipe is an old family favorite. I'm not really sure where it came from- I think it is from one of my mom's friends. I don't normally make it because my dad seems to bake up a batch once or twice a month and always gives a small loaf to my sister and me. But its fishing season for him, so he's not around as much right now.


I pretty much follow the recipe as is, except I normally reduce the sugar by about 1/4 cup. I also like to throw a handful of nuts into one of the loaves since I like nuts in my baked goods, but no one else in my house does.

Banana Bread

1/2 Cup Butter or Margarine
1 1/2 Cups Sugar (I use 1 1/4 Cups)
2 Eggs
2 Cups Flour
1/4 t Baking Powder
3/4 t Baking Soda
1 t Salt
1 Cup Mashed Bananas
1/4 Cup Buttermilk

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease and flour two loaf pans.

Combine the dry ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.

Cream the butter and sugar. Add the eggs one at a time blending well after each egg. Add the dry ingredients, then the banana and buttermilk (I add about a third of the dry ingredients, then the bananas, the next third of the dry ingredients, the buttermilk, and finally the last third of the dry ingredients). Add chopped nuts if desired.

Pour into prepared loaf pans and bake for approximately 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

No comments:

Questions or Comments?

I would love to hear from you! E-mail me at sugarspicekitchen@yahoo.com.