Thursday, June 25, 2009

Ratatouille


Finally, proof that I can do something other than bake! I find it challenging to post meals because of the time it takes to get a nice picture. And since I have had kids, I insist on my food being really hot when I go to eat it. Probably because I have eaten so many cold meals after trying to make everyone else happy!

This recipe, really more of a throw together for me, is one of my summer favorites. It is especially helpful when you have more squash than you know what to do with in your garden. We don't have any ready in our garden yet, but I picked some up at the grocery store last weekend and had an extra tomato that needed to be used up. Its incredible easy to throw together and really packed with flavor if you are using fresh vegetables. I normally chop up about two zuchini, two yellow squash, two tomatoes, an onion, and a couple of cloves of garlic. I sautee everything in a little olive oil and then season it with a little salt, some fresh ground pepper, and a handful of chopped basil. I know the traditional version is supposed to have peppers in it as well, but I prefer to leave them out.

The "stew" is great as is, but sometimes I will heat up a chicken sausage to eat with it. I absolutely love the sausages from Trader Joe's- one of my favorites is the sun dried tomato variety. Then all you need is a nice piece of crusty bread and you are ready to go!

Sometimes I think ratatouille is a bit underrated- it is really delicious, healthy, and super easy to prepare. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

No comments:

Questions or Comments?

I would love to hear from you! E-mail me at sugarspicekitchen@yahoo.com.